We first see this in Mark 1:9-15 and in Mark 1:29-34
Mark 1:9-15 (NIV)
9 At that time Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10 Just as Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. 11 And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”
12 At once the Spirit sent him out into the wilderness, 13 and he was in the wilderness forty days, being tempted[a] by Satan. He was with the wild animals, and angels attended him.
Jesus Announces the Good News
14 After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God. 15 “The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!”
- We see Jesus go and look for people of peace.
- This is in the Jordan where John the Baptist is baptizing people.
- Jesus then preaches the gospel
Then in Mark 1:29-34…
Mark 1:29-34 (NIV)
29 As soon as they left the synagogue, they went with James and John to the home of Simon and Andrew. 30 Simon’s mother-in-law was in bed with a fever, and they immediately told Jesus about her. 31 So he went to her, took her hand and helped her up. The fever left her and she began to wait on them.
32 That evening after sunset the people brought to Jesus all the sick and demon-possessed. 33 The whole town gathered at the door, 34 and Jesus healed many who had various diseases. He also drove out many demons, but he would not let the demons speak because they knew who he was.
- Jesus heals the sick
- He ate with people.
- He shared verbally by exercising authority and power over the physical spiritual forces of this world.
In all of these things we see Jesus interact with 5 different capitals.
- Jesus shows us how to interact with financial capital by releasing financial capital. He leaves his job and he challenges the rich young ruler. We use our homes and finances to feed people now.
- Even from a young age Jesus was teaching in the synagogue and then shared the gospel with people during his public ministry. This is practical, biblical or theological knowledge you can use to help and share with others.
- Jesus gives his time and energy to the house he stayed in Capernaum. He blessed people with his presence and spent time with people. Time and energy are currencies people operate in.
- Jesus eats with people and in so doing shares himself with people relationally. When you eat with people you are interacting relationally. When Jesus eats with sinners he is welcoming them. This is why it was scandalous. Friends and family is a way we connect with people relationally.
- We see this again with his ability to cast out demons and show power over the powers and authority of this world.
Jesus invested in these capitals and desires that we too invest these capitals in the Kingdom of God.